DG2 Plot Questions

For All TradeStation users, and general software questions.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

DG2 Plot Questions

Post by Trader Question »

I have some more questions about the Plot package:

I can't find any documentation on the timeframe syntax. I know "dy" is daily. I'm assuming "wk", "mo", "yr", but what about quarterly, multi-year and intraday syntax? Ticks?

I plotted daily indicators on a weekly chart and they seemed to show the weekly numbers. Does this mean that if the chart's timeframe is higher than the indicator's timeframe, that the indicators will automatically be adjusted up to that timeframe?

What exactly does the Expert setting do?

Use_DI_Data? What does that do?

UpdPerBar?

In the documentation, it says "For greatest accuracy, be sure to use the DI version of plot when plotting daily data on intraday charts." What do you mean by "greatest accuracy"? I thought the whole point of the Plot package was to be able to access any indicator in any timeframe on any chart. How does this version of the indicator differ from the regular version? Would there be a reason to NOT use the DI version? In other words, if you're working with an intraday chart, would you have to create two instances of the Plot indicator? The standard version for the intraday indicators and the DI version for the HTP indicators? What happens if you plot weekly or monthly data on an intraday chart? Still use the DI version?

BK
pldot
Site Admin

Re: DG2 Plot Questions

Post by pldot »

let's see...

1--time syntax dy, wk, mo, qt, yr. Multi year not possible in plot as far as I know, for that you look to the "multi" indicators.
Intraday: ib, i1, i2, i3 ib = intraday basic and will reflect TS native time/tick compression. Eg, on a 60 minute chart ib will return 60 minute bars.
i1 = ib time the number of bars set in the sub bars section. thus if sub-bars set to 4, and ib = 15 minute, then i1 would return 60 minute timeframe. And similarly with i2, and i3; thus there are four possible intraday timeframes on any intraday chart.

2--daily timeframe syntax (dy) plotted on a TradeStation native time of weekly will, I believe, return inaccurate values, since the indicator would think that it is dealing with daily data but is not. However if a wk (or higher) time syntax is plotted on a TS daily chart, the indicator will return true weekly data.

3--Expert setting controls how much data is displayed in the expert window when the "analysis commentary" cursor is selected and clicked on a bar.
setting: 0 = no expert
1= shows a brief guide to the software
2 = shows the guide + line values from that chart, and the specific bar
3=outputs a complete list of line values
4= outputs printout of the complete database

Try these settings and you will see how it works, but they only display inthe separate text box when using the "view/analysis commentary" menu selection or cursor. We also print software status, bar location, software version, and error messages in this window.

4--DI is a version of the software that we include in most of the DG2 software cope with a special case of day-on-intraday plotting. In some cases we cannot get TS to do accurate plotting of day-on-intraday indicators because the day data ends at one time and the intraday data ends at another time, thus the intraday and day bars won't line up. To correct this in some cases we can add a second data stream to the chart, and use the DI version of the software. It has no relevance to other higher time periods (And Denny, please cross check me on this to make sure I am correct on this point). The documentation for the DI version of software in on the page http://www.drummondgeometry.com/dg2_int ... ftware.php . There is a special situation for daily data on tick charts since TS will not permit time and tick data to be mixed on the same chart.. see the documentation.

This special DI version will result in more accuracy, and some regard this as essential. Others have felt that the existing older way of doing things was as accurate enough (usually because in the markets they were concerned with there was little difference between the day-end data and the intraday data) , and all DG2 software without the DI addition operates in that way. But for some markets, and some traders, the DI version makes a lot of difference and is useful.

5-- that refers to "update per bar " and can control the number of times TS refreshes the data in the bar. Leaving it at 0 means TS will update this every tick. Setting it to a positive number controls the number of times the update occurs... 5, 10, 20, etc. This is valuable in some situations because it can help you control the processing overhead and reduce or eliminate the times that TS clogs up and overloads your computer CPU.

6-- I think that on an intraday chart if you have key HTP info, especially daily info, as well as intraday info, you can just use the DI version, and do not need both the DI and the regular version.