Will the Archives be available?

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Will the Archives be available?

Post by Trader Question »

I have placed order for last set of lessons, please send in a box. I am still struggling on but might as well finish the job. I hope that in time I will get the success that I truly desire as a trader, it will mean quite a lot to me.

I find it difficult to remain emotionally detatched when trading and I know how this makes it difficult to act rationally when making decisions as the pressure increases whether in profit or loss,despite a lot of thinking about the problem I have yet to have a solution,I would be verry happy if I could act in the calm rational way that charlie does, its something to aim for. I spend most of my time on P&L and I can spend hours with analysis
like playing three dimensional chess. I would like to keep up with the mogs as they form a usefull part of the learning, its a pity that they will not be available to students starting the course, could the archives be made available?
Just a thought

GB
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Will the Archives be available?

Post by pldot »

Yes, emotional control does take time and experience, and I can vouch for that personally....
But it does develop if you work at it.

I have found the analogy of the three "centers" very, very useful... (see
the Psycho papers for details). You will recall... The intellectual center is where you do the analysis, the mechanical center where you take action, and the emotional center which plays no part and just gets in the way.
Similarly to think of the process of learning to drive a car is useful.
When I teach my son to drive... When confronted with a turn into traffic, he is "frozen" with analysis, to his intellectual center is in control...
"do I do this, do I do that, where is the signal" etc etc. Then when
something unexpected happens, he is flooded with emotion and panic and is scared to death. Contrast this to an experienced driver, who does not need to analyze, and knows that if he is angry or otherwise emotional he is doing something wrong and should not drive, and that panic is counter-productive.
But his experienced driving is now quite mechanical, calmly and routinely executing the driving signals and directions required.

I have found that looking at my own actions helps me determine which centers are operating, and to separate the intellectual from the mechanical (do them at different times, analyze before trading, etc) and to eliminate the emotional completely. At the very least this analogy can tell you what you are doing wrong and where you are encountering the difficulty and what to do about it. As in driving, repetition helps a lot.

We have some plans for the beginning student, including simplified movies summarizing each Lesson and some other tools that will help. Also we will make selected Mogs available to the public, in the public access area of pldot.com.