A Mechanical Approach to DG?

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

A Mechanical Approach to DG?

Post by Trader Question »

XXX has kindly shown me how P&L performed on a market I trade. I am gratefull for his time as he is obviously busy.

I still have questions regarding how the various tools could be constructed into a mechanical trading system.
I understand that XXX is a discretionary trader and prefers to trade that way.

I prefer a more mechanical approach ,I know this is probably not the best use of the methodolgy,but I feel more comfortable for phychological reasons. I notice there is no section in the course for system construction,would there be any surport or guidance on how to construct a system for a student? I understand there is a limit on how much inforformation you can give out, my main concern before making a commitment is if the P&L methodolgy would suit me.

GB
pldot
Site Admin

Re: A Mechanical Approach to DG?

Post by pldot »

The methods outlined in the course are objective and a mechanical system can be constructed from them. In the last half of the coure, we describe in detail a number of trade plans, any one of which could be applied in a purely mechanical manner if one were so inclined. I do believe there is ample material there to build any number of systems.

Perhaps because of the way the course was created, and the quality of the state-of-the-art software that was available at that point in time, there is less emphasis in the course on building computerized, fully mechanical trading systems. Nevertheless, the signals are clear, and objective, and straightforward. We'll support any discussion along those lines as necessary.

We've been working extensively on system computerization issues for the last few years and making great progress and are in the process of bringing a new generation of software to the market that will make such mechanical trading and system building easier and more productive. We have some for our personal use that we cannot release, but in the future we do expect to make more of this type of work available to our group. In partucluar the new capabiliites of TradeStation in their RadarScreen scanning module, together with the software enhancements that we are now developing, should make automated set-ups and triggers well within grasp.. This is on-going development work and we make no guarantee as to a release date, but you should know that it is a topic of very intensive effort going forward.