Indicator and Chart Set Up

System Traders shop talk. Registered DG Traders Only.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Indicator and Chart Set Up

Post by Trader Question »

Things are going well here. I’m in lesson 17 and looking forward to lessons 20-30, and then a review of the course.

A couple questions regarding the indicators. I’m following along with the mogs and I can’t get the DGB envelope to work on the monthly chart. I’m guessing that’s because there aren’t enough months for it to work. It works fine with the gold contract, which goes back a lot further. Also, in the instruction sheet it says that to get quarterly and yearly indicators I need to ask for them. Do I have all there is, or is there something I’m missing? I’m not sure how to get the quarterly or yearly charts to come up in TradeStation. I still have a lot to learn in this area. Charlie’s charts are set up differently than is suggested in the instructions. What’s the best way to set up the background and such?

JJ
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Indicator and Chart Set Up

Post by pldot »

Yes, your diagnosis is probably correct. you need to have adequate data loaded on the monthly and other long-term charts to have the indicators load properly, I have forgotten the exact number of months but it is more than you would think, maybe at least 7 or 8 before you get the lines start to form. If you are working on a futures symbol that does not have a lot of data it is usually possible to use an artificially assembled "continuous contract " or "perpetual contract" that will have sufficient data. In TradeStation these are usually given the symbol @ so that the continuous contract for soybeans for example, is @s and for gold it is @gc etc.

In the news section of the Institute there is a palce to order the long-term "multi" software. Drop me a note if you can't find it. It will have instructions with it.

Charlie writes some of his own indicators forhis own use, and so his charts sometimes look a touch different. The higher time period overlays can be made to look more solid by fiddling with the style inputs however, and setting the thickness to the fattest and hte lines to bar high and bar low.
Trader Question

Post by Trader Question »

As for Charlie’s charts, he uses a black background. I have mine set to gray as suggested. Is one better than the other?--

JJ
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Colors and backgrounds and all other style options are entirely based on your preference and comfort. I have seen some pretty wild chart colors. Often we switched things around just for variety's sake, or to emphasize a particular indicator for a time. Experiment and have fun exploring the options. In fact if you wander through the Institute you will probably see a lot of various set ups. The suggestions we make in the instructions are basically just to help people get up and running but don't let us inhibit your creativity.