Indicator Questions

System Traders shop talk. Registered DG Traders Only.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Indicator Questions

Post by Trader Question »

I do not find any monthly on weekly or quarterly on weekly studies. Do you have them?

JK
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Indicator Questions

Post by pldot »

TradeStation can't handle monthly/weekly issues cleanly in a direct manner because we can't get the months to start on a Monday, and hence no month-on-week indicators. But we have a work-around in that we chart the monthly-on-daily using a second data stream data two on daily data but display the resulting indicator in data one overlaid on the weekly chart. I've never run quarterly on weekly but suspect that the same work-around would display just fine, using quarterly on monthly data to display on a weekly chart.
Trader Question

I have tried the first workaround and the monthly on daily works fine. The quarterly on monthly also works, but the last 2 plots that plot the vertical bar do not plot correctly.

I had been working on a similar workaround by putting monthly data on the weekly chart, hiding it and plotting the monthly indicator on the weekly chart. It works as far as I took it. I just don t have the same formula for the nearbys and further out that you do. I apparently took a shortcut or two, so I am close but seldom the same.

JK
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

re: the plotting the last two plots on the vertical bar ..... not sure what you are looking at, of course, but I do know that TS7 has a different way of charting bars to the right for different time periods and your issue may be helped by increasing the number of bars to the right setting under format window....
Trader Question

Sorry I wasn t clear. I wasn t referring to the last two bars on the chart, but the lines drawn by the indicator. There are 4 plots in the indicator. The first two are set to plot a line. The second two are Bar high and Bar low respectively. They plot the vertical lines that appear at the end of a month, week, etc, when the static level changes. It is those vertical lines that I am seeing no longer attached to the horizontal plots showing the range of the nearby, but floating on the chart. I have attached a chart with example.

JK
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Attached shows quarterly on weekly and quarterly on monthly. I don't know why you encounter the anomaly in TS's charting, but here is a charting style that works for quarterly on weekly. The data lines up perfectly, and can be read... if that's what you';re looking for. Set all four plots alternately to bar hi/ bar low and heaviest line weight.