Envelope Placement

System Traders shop talk. Registered DG Traders Only.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Envelope Placement

Post by Trader Question »

I am not understanding how to put monthly on weekly envelopes and/or can I place quarterly on monthly envelopes?

M.S.
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Envelope Placement

Post by pldot »

Regarding the monthly on weekly charts: Basically this is done by creating two data streams and charting the monthly-on-daily envelope but displaying it on a weekly chart. Instructions are here: http://www.pldot.com/institute/Charlie/ ... mments.htm .

Yearly on quarterly charts are also described there however using the "Multi" charts I sent you are far superior to the method describe in the Institute, and the instructions sent along with that would be the place to look for the multi configuration notes.
Trader Question

Post by Trader Question »

Now, I am convinced that my expertise does not lie in configuring the indicators. No doubt you have also concluded this fact.

I went to the weblink, but I do not see an option for "Format Other Symbols" as shown on the weblink and as described by the audio. I do have the proper Mulit charts downloaded that you had sent me, but unless I'm mistaken I do not believe that they include the Monthly on Weekly charts. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Either I am not looking in the proper menu list to see Format other Symbols in order to create the two data streams (has the newer TS version changed so that this no longer applies) or it is not there. The audio message is clear enough, but I am just not seeing how to access the options in order place these indicators monthly on weekly chart. Also there is no specific "Bar" indicator listed by itself that I see in the audio/website instructions.

I see in Charles' end of day presentation that his charts do not look at all like mine. For example, his price bars are not rounded at the highs/lows nor do my charts have the "faded zones" painted on above and below the price bars. I like the appearance of these zones as they make the overall visual picture clearer for and I also see from the weblink that you provided that these faded areas above/below did exist in the past too.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

M.S.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

The short answer is that if you right-click on a chart and choose "insert symbol" you can add a second symbol to your chart.
Then each symbol can be formatted.

Monthly on weekly (using second daily feed) is done with the regular DG indicators. The yearly on quarterly is done with he multi's.

The bar indicator should be created from the code supplied. The bar indicator will show flat bar tops.

The faded gray areas are set using thick bar weights, bar hi and bar low setting, and appropriate colors.

The longer answer is that if you give me a day or two I'll do a movie on these items and demonstrate them, but it may take me a few days to get to it.