How do I plot monthly on weekly indicators?

For All TradeStation users, and general software questions.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

pldot
Site Admin

How do I plot monthly on weekly indicators?

Post by pldot »

I have everything set up in my tradestation account and have been working with my friend to set my data up similar to his to that we can better coordinate when we are talking to each other. I was just wondering if there are any indicators for me to put the monthly envelope on the weekly data and the yearly on the monthly as well. I didn't see them in the indicator package. If you could please let me know if I just overlooked them and how I can access them when you get a minute. Thank you very much.

Chris
pldot
Site Admin

Re: How do I plot monthly on weekly indicators?

Post by pldot »

This is a common question. It is a bit confusing since we don't have a special indicator for the monthly-on-weekly charts. This is because the week does not always start on the same day as the month and so it would be hard to get the data plots aligned. To accomplish this with the proper line-ups we have a simple work-around.
1) Insert a second data stream onto your weekly chart using the same symbol but with daily time compression. This will be "data 2" but set it to display in subgraph 1.
2) Set the style of this data stream to dot-on-close and to the same color as the background of the chart. Then apply the indicator DGMD Envelope to reference data 2 and set the indicator scaling to the "same axis as the underlying data"

Presto: monthly-on-weekly indicators are now displayed on your weekly chart.

I have attached a sample in a TS workspace. If you have this or a later build you can download the workspace (be sure to name the file correctly when saving it) and bring it up in your TradeStation and see how it is configured

Try this and come back here if you have further questions.
Attachments
Support --- Monthly-on-weekly.tsw
TradeStation 8.3 Build 1631 Workspace showing Month-on-week
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 354 times