Multiple Time Frames

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Multiple Time Frames

Post by Trader Question »

What is the best thing to reference for coordinating multiple time frames. I have been struggling with lessons 18 & 19.

Is there a definitive work on multiple time frames...

I have read How To, P&L labs, Advanced manual, and Accumulation/Dist Etc...

But I never saw the process for multiple time frame analysis laid out. I would like to understand how to coordinate the timeframes from the yearly down to the daily. I see it some in the lessons and it is referenced in everything but where is it best laid out and walked through.

Also what is mother goose and the beak and the geese flying.. I think I know redbird is the live dot...

M.B.
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Time Frames

Post by pldot »

Re timeframes.... yes, I understand. For many years Charlie did not discuss time frames, perhaps wishing to keep the concept to himself, and so in How to, Advanced, Labs, etc, he only drops hints. Only in the Lessons and later works is this discussed. But the topic is treated throughout the Lessons and not just in 18-19, etc. ............. But let me ask you, have you been following the "mogs" on the internet? These daily postings are proving to be invaluable, as you can see Charlie dealing with markets in near-real-time, and ask questions about that day's activity after you have heard his multiple time period analysis and trading actions, and discuss with him and others the issues and concerns that you are having. It is becoming a very rich and valuable resource for exactly the issue that you are presently grappling with. Let me know if you have any difficulties accessing this.

Re the Mother Goose material... not something that I deal with regularly and so when I asked Charlie about it some months ago on behalf of another student his response was amusing... and I attach the interchange below.
Gracious Ted,
I forget ! 1982,,,, do recall the hoot it caused and immense interest and use, and success in use by some who ignored all else and so since as far as can recall,, but I cannot recall what mother goose is,,, has something to do with 'wings' me thinks,,,, oh,,,,, it is coming back,,,,,,,,,,

a mother goose on top,,,,, had 3 ,,, 11 hi's involved,,,,,,

the middle one was lower than that to the left and that to the right,,, as in wing formation of geese in flight,,, middle one leading down,,, if recall, it means a solid top since flying south so to speak,,,,, heavy resistance on top,,, the idea being that the right 11 high being higher than the middle one reflects exhaust energy, if price is below this formation....

think that is it,,,
Best,
Charlie

HI C*******

Greetings
Funny you should mention the Mother Goose. Has to do with congestions but when I went a-looking for the exact definition I could not find it. Will ask Charlie. The 1-1 Paper is difficult because the charts were lost years ago, and so one waddles through it without a suitablereference. We can of course send you another copy, if that is the book which was lost. But let me get the exact definition tacked down for you first.
Best regards to you.
Ted
---Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 23:16
To: ted@tedtick.com

Subject: Refresh my memory
Hi Ted, this is C****** from the UK.

During a relocation I lost one of the books. Can you please remind me what a Mother Goose is? What are its characteristics? I would like to read the 1-1 Paper again...
Trader Question

Thanks for your reply I mean lessons 19 and 20 in the previous email

My goal is to put the process of reasoning through Multiple Time Period analysis firmly in my mind step by step.
I am on my second run through the course and trying to get the detail of the theory down.

I have been listening to the MOGS since they started earlier this year - they are beneficial but I am often confused after.
I should have picked up on more by now but here are a couple of points I have picked up--Let me know if I am missing the forest...

Charlie says
He would sell the loss of the pldot push; so he is looking for the area where the pldot will lose its push (termination) which likely would be in higher time period support or resistance

This resistance or support is made stronger or weaker depending where it exists relative to the next higher time period support or resistance.

My mind asks a question here: At some point there is not a higher time period accessible. Say that is the yearly or 5 year. Then what to do?

Anticipate the next kind of trading on the yearly without the htp?

How does on do that? ?With accumulation / distribution of the prior time period and monitoring the reality on the LTP?

So anticipating the next type of trading and looking at the higher time periods are very related except at the highest level?

If in yearly, quarterly, monthly, weekly support you would expect it to be strong. But weekly support could still be weak as could quarterly and yearly if you are going to yearly further out support. I guess here you just have to monitor accumulation with the LTP.

Any comments would be appreciated.

M.B.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Yes, Lessons 19 and 20 were during the difficult times here and there.

I have some comments here for you but I also suggest (with your permission and only if you agree) that I forward this to Charlie and he can perhaps use this as a starting point for a fuller response in the mogs. We would remove any personally-identifying information before doing so.

See my comments below

[==] OK, good, this is about on track...

==yes most often that is the case, and the approach... adding perhaps the concept of watching dot pushes and dots loss of push on multiple timeframes at the same time...

[==] Yes, this is generally right...

[==] well if your trading focus is quarterly, you are OK with the yearly, and the monthly the same... sometimes we use 2.5 year charts. In some securities such as the dow and most currencies and many stocks there are many years of data available and so it is possible t use 5, and even 10 year charts.

[==] ==yes, if you have to you have to.... and it is really not a crisis...

==] ===yes, that is the way. Also the envelope theory and nearby/further outs, exhausts, dotted line formations, etc., all give indications about what is coming up in terms of the next kind of trading, and the consequent implications for the trade...

[==] yes, and also to what is happening on the focus time period itself, and also, importantly, to the *monitoring* of the expected activity and reaction on the LTP...
The theory about what should happen is great because it tells you what to look for and where and to an extent, when. But the actual evidence of what is happening has to occur on the LTP, and it will appear there first, and let you take action at the expected place well ahead of the crowd.

[==] ==that's the idea, you have to monitor constantly, and interpret this monitoring observations. The plus side is that the criteria are objective, and clear, and usually not too ambiguous.
Trader Question

Thanks for the reply Ted!
I have put in a question to Charlie. He said he would have to put it on his desk.
I asked Charlie to lay out the theory (in an effort to make it mechanical for myself)--would prefer in writing so I can apply to charts & know theory. Much like I have learned envelope theory.

That is what I am getting at. Trying to get my procedures down on a daily basis. It would be good for me to construct an outline of what I think the Multiple time period theory. I will work on this and forward info on.

Thanks for your help M.B.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

so, to be clear, you do or do not want me to forward to to Charile for possible use in the mogs...?
Trader Question

fine if you don't send it on... He has it in queue on the mog postings discussion

M.B.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

long gone....
Hi Charile,

More grist for the mill, don't know if you want to fold this into the mix, or not... up to you....

Besting along,

Ted