LTP Flow

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

LTP Flow

Post by Trader Question »

Thank you very much for your thorough treatment of my last questions. Your comments are always greatly appreciated and the movies are a great medium to receive them.
Let’s accept that LTP flow can be used for entry targets and stops (provided that you are mindful of the FTP & HTP context).
There are times (too frequently in some instruments it seems) where the flow can shift quite rapidly catching you out if not careful. I’m not sure if you subscribe to European market data? But the DAX exhibited some of these quite vividly today.
Timing has a lot to do with it and to do this effectively you must anticipate the flow to some extent. If this is the case you need to monitor your anticipation maybe the LLTP but then you are descending further into tickitis. Perhaps I might throw a couple of scenarios into the wash for comment?
I Guess the problem is that LTP flow for a refresh looks very similar to the flow for congestion entry right up to the time that the LTP dot decides to push. If it is a refresh this push will often be an exhaust. I have noticed that even if you do get entry there is often a little reverse in the flow as it fights through the envelope and again at the dot. This also often happens in a refresh too. How do we monitor this and be clear which is occurring?

IT seems LTP often makes one (or two) last pushes before next kind of trading. - If you hang in there you can get stung by the last pushes or even a move to FTP further out?

A couple of variations on a theme here ... Lets use the DAX 1440 into daily for example. you are anticipating your FTP bar low to be put in somewhere in its nearby support. LTP (1440) opens into exhaust down lets say you climb on in bar 2 (I actually entered as it looked like the 59 was holding than bang it went against me, I'm afraid I took the stop). Alternate entry would have been bar 3 as strength shifts to nearby you would again have had to jump in pretty quickly to be able to buy support as the bar moved right on up. Bar 4 no entrance in fact it dropped 30 points pretty rapidly again.
Now ok now you would be re-evaluating your analysis - seems OK maybe premature weekly entered congestion and the block should be round here somewhere at monthly ET. On a daily basis we are into furtherout so again would be looking for the daily low to be put in.

We are now in weekly support (at bottom purple line which is W EB) again looks like an exhaust on the 1440 LTP into daily further out. However same scenario there was another push left
Anyway thanks again for your excellent treatment of my previous question - hope it will be of benefit to others as well. Hope that you can find a little time to give me your thoughts on this one too

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Re: LTP Flow

Post by pldot »

Will try to take a crack at it as time permits....

I will need a fuller set of DAX charts. Please send, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly yearly if you have them, as well as whatever ltp and lltp you use.

Not sure when or how or if I will do another movie but if I do, will need these...