Contract Month Info

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Contract Month Info

Post by Trader Question »

Do you know of a good resource where I can learn about when contract months change and which contract months are the ones to trade for that month. Also, there must be a whole lot of other information I need similar to this "limit" move that I know nothing about. Where can I learn about all these fundamental things that I need to know.

R.S.
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Contract Month Info

Post by pldot »

Brokerage houses are always good sources of information, and of course the starting place for info should be the exchange sites, www.cbot.com and www.cme.com for the major Chicago exchanges; there's lots of info there. As to the date that the contracts roll over in the pit, this is a bit tricky. Ask your brokerage house or watch the daily volume; when the front month rolls, the volume of contracts will shift dramatically from the expiring month to the new "front" month. This is not the same as the expiration date of the futures contract, however, as the rollover happens well in advance of that date. The CBOT had an excellent introductory text on the futures markets but I am away from my main library here in Shanghai and I no longer remember the title. Their website should list it.