What Data Supplier? What Software?

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

What Data Supplier? What Software?

Post by Trader Question »

Do I have to purchase Super-Charts or TradeStation?In theory, you do not have to have a particular brand of software; the methodology works independently of the software and can be hand charted or calculated separately from any charting package. As a practical matter, however, we highly recommend either Omega Research SuperCharts or TradeStation together with the Drummond Geometry indicator software. It makes life much, much easier.

I would like to ask whether you would recommend metastock pro realtimesoftware, becos if you support/ provide the calculation/ parameters to be loaded into metastock, it would make our lives easier. If you do that for Tradestation, why not the most used software that is metastock?

WY
pldot
Site Admin

Re: What Data Supplier?

Post by pldot »

The software we provide is compatible only withTardeStation, which is a situation that developed because it was only TradeStation that had the necessary development language and abiity to perform manipulations such as multiple time period overlays, projection of energy into future time periods where the bar has not yet formed, etc. Metastock and other software charting packages did not offer that capability when this work

was done, and so have not been pursued. A substantial body of
development has been required to move us forward to this current state, and the work has been carried out on the TradeStation platform. Furthermore we believe that the present level of TradeStation development, particularly in light of its RadarScreen capabilities, stands as the richest and most flexible software available. In future years we may expand the platforms availbale; our current development work has moved all calculations into a dll and this is an step that will make it more likely that someday we may port the Drummond Geometry software to other platforms, but we have no current plan to do that.

We state thatTradeStation is not a requirement and that is true; some of our customers use hand charting and a few have developed their own versions of the tools in NeoTick or Excel charting or in C++. The challenges of doing this however are not trivial; the simpler calculations present no problem but there are many complications when writing code for the nearbys and furtherouts and the multiple time period overlays. The Lessons provide the theoretical basis for creating the software and the basic math of the tools is disclosed, but we do not disclose code for TradeStation and do not develop the code for other platforms.

For those who live outside of the U.S. we recommend TradeStation 2000i; for those who trade the U.S. markets we recommend TS 8.1. The cost-bnefit ratio of using these platforms with the exisiting indicator package is compelling. Note that Supercharts is no longer extant and is not supported; we no longer sell end-of-day software.
Trader Question

Re: What Data Supplier? What Software?

Post by Trader Question »

Now the challenge for me is to consider whether to increase my budget to purchase the TS2000i just for the purpose of automating the DGeometry system; therefore at certain point in time, I have to justify the costs benefits of having the DGeometry itself visavis without it. Ted, judging from the feedback you must have got from the past, is this DGeometry system really that good and indispensable? Your frank opinion please.

WY
pldot
Site Admin

Re: What Data Supplier? What Software?

Post by pldot »

First, I suggest taking a look on eBay or other internet sites to see if you can acquire a copy of TS2000i privately; because TradeStation migrated their US customers to the new platform TS8 and moved to a leased-software business model, many people have copies of TS2000i they no longer need. It is usually pretty easy to find a fully licensed copy of TS2000i on the after-market as that software was owned by the user and is thus available for resale. If you do find such a copy, it will reduce your upfront software costs significantly, as the prices I have heard being charged for that software (now not used much within the US) were low. That might help you on that score.

Second, as to the recommendations of the effectiveness of the DG approach, I do indeed endorse it whole-heartedly. In my opinion, Charlie Drummond is one of the great geniuses market analysis in the 20th century, and his discovery and development of multiple-time-frame trading is hugely important. The course of study is rich, detailed, and contains a wealth of practical, pragmatic information. For obviously reasons the information was and is closely held. We receive many comments from customers who, after absorbing the material and working with it for a time, are deeply impressed with its power and efficacy. But I am not certain that anything that I might say will set your mind at ease, since this is the type of material that you really have to experience yourself, make part of your own personal trading plan, and reap the rewards over time.