TradeStation Stuck

For All TradeStation users, and general software questions.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader ???

TradeStation Stuck

Post by Trader ??? »

Were you trading or had charts open on Friday at the open? My TS locked up again for over 30 minutes. After I finally shut it down and reopened it, I made sure that there was only one chart with bare price bars, no indicators at all, and it was still locked up until after 10AM.

I have this happen everytime there is a volume surge. My internet speed has been tested and is far faster than other traders I know who have also had their internet speeds tested too and they have multiple charts with indicators open. Also my desktop computer hardware is superior to theirs and I've also eliminated non-trading applications which may have stolen computer resources.

I was just wondering if it happened to you as I did check with a couple of other traders I know and they had no problems with TS at the open.

I run eSignal too and have never had any problems with data feeds from them.

Any ideas?

M. S.
pldot
Site Admin

Re: TradeStation Stuck

Post by pldot »

TS jamming up....

I have seen this from time to time, usually very briefly, not like the old days, and not as extensive as you have mentioned here. I didn't see it on Friday but I was not trading that day and thus was not watching closely and so might have not been attentive to it. I use IB for brokerage and have not found difficulty with that datastream in terms of jamming up. Maybe put a request on the TS forum and see if others complained as well. As with all things in trading I find that a redundant source for key inputs is essential. Power/internet/data/phone/ yadda yadda all have been duplicated here to guard against failure in any one system.

I'll ask DM regarding the jamming up and if he knows of any conflicting programs that might be looked at.

One thing regarding TS is to make sure that on our indicators for HTP overlays one de-selects the check box that says "update on every tick" since that can significantly reduce the overhead.
Trader ???

Post by Trader ??? »

I have noticed times when TS gets jammed up and seems to take forever to recover. What I usually do is use that batch file to shut down everything and start over. Some times that doesn't even help. I can sometimes find this in the morning while TS was running all night also. I do not suspect the DG software though because I have seen this happen with only one page of simple charts.

I just attributed it to TS getting tangled up since it is such a huge program.....M.S.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

D.M. reminds me how valuable I find the little bat file that kills all TS processes.
Maybe what happened is that your TS froze up for whatever reason, and when you restarted it not all processes were fresh starts. I find that situation very very frequently when we do development work, since when we are doing that we have dozens of crashes a day. The bat file makes it really easy to make sure that all of the many TS processes have been killed, then you can restart TS immediately and be assured that you have a genuine fresh start.
I bet this will help you.

I attach the bat file.
Unzip it, put it in any convenient directory, create a short-cut to it for your desktop or quick start tray, and you're set. try it...