Charting Questions

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Charting Questions

Post by Trader Question »

I am enjoying the course very much. You guys have done an amazing job. I do have a few questions.

1. How do you set up the yearly and quarterly charts since Tradestation does not have that option in the chart setup?

2. What contracts do you use for the yearly or quarterly charts since most of the futures contracts do not have that long a history, and if they do
the data of more than a few previous months are not that good? If you use the continuous contracts from CSI, the data are quite different from the
actual futures contracts e.g. USZ99 and USH0 are based on different % yield.

3. When do you use the one bar back?

Again, I think that your trading method and the way you have the course put together are the best I have seen, and I have been trading for 20 years
and have taken many different courses.

VL
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Charting Questions

Post by pldot »

+++glad you like it...

(1) In our indicators we have DGYM Yearly Bars and DGQM Quarterly Bars The function of these indicators is to create yearly and quarterly bars out of a chart that originally is composed of monthly bars. On a standard monthly chart, insert the Yearly bars indicators, set the bar spacing to a minimal setting, and make the price bars invisible. You are then left with yearly bars. Then the other DGYM indicators can also be applied. Same procedure applies for the quarterly bars.

Another method is to create an asci file with yearly data and have TradeStation call it up as a monthyl chart... this works but then of course you have to lable the bars as necessary... a number of the long-term charts inthe Lessons were done that way I think (I'll check with Charlie for additional input on this..., I think he has some tricks up his sleeve.)

(2) I do not know of an excellent solution here... when looking for long-term data I either build my own from ascii data or use CSI and mentally handle the offset. Again, I'll see if Charlie has another more elegant solution...

(3) We use the bar back function only when setting up "live" charts that can project the energy forward one bar and thus show tomorrow's indicators today, as it were.
Here is the procedure:
--start with a clean chart.....
---Set the style for "invisible bars"
--add the bars back indicator
--add "live" indicators as desired (e.g., DGBL envelope, DGBL nearby resistance, etc)
What you will see is the DG indicators on the chart as usual but with this exception: you will also see the indicators for the next bar that has not started yet. This can be very useful....
Note: do not mix "live" idicataors and "static" indicators (which do not have the "L" in the name of the indicator) Doing so will confuse the chart set ups and render the indicators not accurate.
When do you use live envelope of the HTF imposed on the focus timeframe? as opposed to the regular envelope?
Use the live envelope only on the live charts as set up above.