Analysis without TS

For All TradeStation users, and general software questions.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Analysis without TS

Post by Trader Question »

Because TS is not available unless one opens an account with them, I decided about 6 weeks ago to write my own analysis package. I bought the api from MS and was able to read their data and have made significant progress.

Question: Keep in mind that I have a weekly focus (with daily monitoring and monthly). The charts in the lessons look slightly different then what I saw on your system and on the web site. I assume that the dark shaded areas are the higher tp's 11's???

If I have a daily chart on my screen (with ET/EB, RU/SU, Dot), what "weekly" elements do you put (as a starting point) on that chart.

Also please let me know details what colors I should use for each of those elements.

G.K.
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Analysis without TS

Post by pldot »

Thanks for this. You're an ambitious guy.

++++exactly which Lesson screens are you referring to? The charts on the Pldot.com institute website use darker overlays; these are not the HTP 1-1's but a set of support/resistance indicators we call the "nearbys" which are taught in Lesson 16 and following.

+++the weekly envelope as a minimum, and then the "nearby's and "further outs" Failing these, you could substitute the 1-1 hi an low zones, and the 5/9s.

++that's fielder's choice --- up to you.
Trader Question

As far as the software I have made progress the point where I have to simply put the higher time-frame studies on the lower-time frame charts and I am done. I can draw any of the lines (BTW, which lesson has the formulas???. I got some of the formulas from the PL Labs) on any of my charts (again I only use M/W/D).

I am only on lesson #9. I was getting frustrated because I could not see how the lower time frames would "play out" using MetaStk. So it was like, well
I can go through the lessons but I cannot do research the right way. With what I have written, I can say put 10 weekly bars (+ weekly studies) on the
screen, highlight 1 weekly bar and print out 10 days on the daily (that would have the weekly studies on them). This "unfolding process" is not possible with MS. With what I have written, I can basically do what I would have had to do by hand.

Thanks again for your help. Let me know which lesson has the formulas..

G.K.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Formulas are in Lesson 6 and in the addendum tot he Labs, which you already have. Instructions on the formation of the nearbys are in Lessons 16, though we don't have specific formulas for them.

Your software sounds interesting.
Trader Question

Thanks for the info; I don't even use MS anymore. With this I can interactively put any of the line studies,re-draw the chart, do what you do
in the lessons (i.e. play out a lower timeframe). The nice thing is that the screen is just like a canvas (or a manual chart - which is what I have been
doing since I bought the lessons - just tedious - remember a while back I wanted to buy the set of hand-drawn charts from you!!!). With this, I can
put whatever I want on the charts. I am not limited by what MS or TS can do (+ hassles of upgrades, opening an account just to use the sw...). I can
calculate pretty much anything and reasonably plot anything. I am really encouraged by this and just this last week has been by far the most
productive/meaningful research I have done (research like you guys teach with tf integration) since I started studing.

G.K.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Good show. We'll have to take a look at what you have done.
Anabia123

Post by Anabia123 »

Yes, I see; I can reproduce this. I am not sure as to the reason and am asking Denny to check the programming code. I'll get back to you on this one.