Your Course and My System

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Re: Your Course and My System

Post by Trader Question »

Would your system/education be conducive to a "set it and forget it" type of trading, or is it more of a "watch and decide" method? Or Both? I do a little of both swing and day trading.

J.S.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

The answer is "both" or "either" depending on how the trader sets up the software and his trading approach. We're on the verge of releasing the "set-ups" software that will permit multi-time period, multi condition criteria to be scanned for over a large number of stocks or futures contracts; this should present the trader with identical high-potential trade setups and so all that is required is to execute. On the other hand a lot of traders like to monitor the market and look for the precise best tick to make entry, and to monitor the trade closely, adjusting stops frequently and taking frequent profits. Guidelines for entries, targets, exits, etc. are objective but traders of different styles can approach them differently as they choose. The methodology can accommodate both.
Trader Question

Very interested in the multi-time frame software...cuts down a lot of work. I am mainly interested in the "Alerts" software at this point. Would the new software be an upgrade to the alerts software, an upgrade to something else, or a complete additional program?

I am not a tick-hunter. My rampant type A personality pushes me to the "set it and forget it" type trades so my noisy brain doesn't kill my equity curve. I set my stops and limits and run away from the computer!

J.S.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Set-ups is a big step beyond Alerts but has some antecedents to it, and that will be reflected in price if one has already purchased Alerts. Note that alerts itself is not designed as a charting program, and so one might want to use it in conjunction with the Pro or plot program.
Trader Question

OK so there are so many products, I guess I am having trouble following what is available and how they all fit together..

What would be your recommendation on education/software to start with based on what I have told you so far?

Would education through level four (pre-req to Setups?) and the setups program be the way to go? Is there any of the earlier software required to run Setups? Do they work together or separately?

J.S.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Here is how it stacks up:

To trade DG methods you need a charting program that will handle the special concepts and overlays that are at the core of what we do.

These softwares include Advanced, Professional, and Plot, in order of ascending sophistication, power, and complexity. Professional would be the normal starting place for a trader with some experience who has the full course in hand. Plot would be for a trader who has prior experience with the DG methods and wants more control over the plotting capabilities.

Specialty Suite is a series of special purpose tools that can handle special needs -- very long term charting of quarterly and yearly charts, and some very complex and/or experimental charting arrangements that are difficult to set up with other software, such as the "Refresh Bands" and "Mother Goose" tools.

But once the methodology is in hand, we also have tools that can support the trader in other ways. The "Alerts" tools can set complex DG entry/exit points and monitor the charts for this historically or in real time through Radar Screen. The 'Developer's API" program puts the programming back in the hands of the trader and makes the full range of DG2 concepts and tools available for personal programming. The upcoming "Set-ups" takes semi-automation of DG trade signals to the ultimate level with multiple time periods and multiple entry/exit/monitoring concepts combined in a single tool that can be applied either to historical charts for testing (with statistical reports and graphic signals) or to real-time Radar Screen or TS's new Scanner.

In your case I would think that the entry point should be the DG2 Professional Package, and move on from there as your interests and needs dictate.