Time Periods and Mechanics

System Traders shop talk. Registered DG Traders Only.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Time Periods and Mechanics

Post by Trader Question »

I've been pretty busy studying charts with a daily focus ES and looking at the 4000t to get in and out. I have also read and re-read yes/no paper accumulation distribution and knowing where the energy is coming from as well as re-visiting appropriate lessons.

I'm very pleased with the progress of my analysis. My brain still becomes a bit confused now and then especially if there is opposing energy on different periods for example the second HTP might be refreshed and deciding which way to go

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Time Periods and Mechanics

Post by pldot »

===Good... reviews make a lot of sense as they information can spring into focus when you have the proper context.

===if the second Htp is "deciding" which way to go and you can't determine where it is, then the Ltp etc will show the way.
Trader Question

this manifests itself as congestion action on HTP and FTP and often enough at key energy areas on the LTP as well.

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

====yes... congestion is OK, then you know how to trade congestion. If congestion on the htp then you will get short, sharp trend ruins on the ftp, etc... as you know...
Trader Question

At least I can usually see what is going on and at some stage energy will exert itself. I would estimate that what I anticipate plays out about 75% of the time which I am reasonably pleased with.

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

===75% is not bad.., You will do a little better as you get more into it, but be careful about perfectionism. You can make a lot of money when you are 75 or 85 or 90 % right...
Trader Question

On to the real problem.....

In a word its mechanics. Despite my analysis being reasonable I am still being whipped around. I have become better at identifying yes/no patterns and identifying flow. However I find the the flow on the LTPat HTP energy points can swing back and forth in action while higher time periods sort themselves out. (theory dictates that LTP's will often make runs while the FTP and HTP sort out there congestions so I even anticipate this!) This invariably seems to lead to me getting stopped out at a loss however.

Recently I have tried maintaining a daily focus but looked down deeper at the LLTP (800tick) into the LTP to try and get an entry in a nearby zone there. My plan is to try and get a better entry to minimise an initial adverse move then as the position plays out concentrate on the 4000t to the daily. This seems to result in a series of smaller losses as the energy flows back and forth before (or even during) the daily move.

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

===are you entering too soon, before you see the flow shift on the ltp? And are you truly buying support and selling resistance?
Trader Question

On a psychological level I am holding up pretty well and don't believe this (psychology) to be the root of the problem. Obviously though if you have had a couple of stops against you and your current position moves back to your entry it becomes very tempting to fold at a couple of points profit (and invariably miss the main move you have anticipated).

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

===yes, pycho stuff has many levels and will require constant attention as different trading problems raise their head...