Time Periods and Mechanics

System Traders shop talk. Registered DG Traders Only.

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Re: Time Periods and Mechanics

Post by Trader Question »

This is not intended as a criticism but the treatment of 'mechanics' and trade plans is perhaps one of the weaker areas of the material.

I think one of the reasons I am finding it hard to execute consistently and profitably is that using flow can be quite nebulous as it shifts around on the LTP. Yes/No patterns are perhaps more mechanical but a LTP Yes can be developing as resistance lines up and holds at a FTP line to suddenly become a No pattern as it pos as much as 5 points to a LTP exhaust. At that point it may still even hold and reverse or enter congestion whatever.

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

===you mean that you would like more guidance as to when and how to make entrances and exits within the context of the analysis?

===what you are saying is an argument for not having tight stops, which is exactly the point of Lessons 29. If you are too tight you will get stopped out, pure and simple, and that is the core of the problem you are having. You have said that many times your analysis is correct but you are wrong on the shorter term and are "whiplashes" or whatever; another ay of saying the same thing is that your stops are too tight. You can of course verify this through study....
Trader Question

In a word its mechanics. Despite my analysis being reasonable I am still being whipped around. I have become better at identifying yes/no patterns and identifying flow. However I find the the flow on the LTPat HTP energy points can swing back and forth in action while higher time periods sort themselves out. (theory dictates that LTP's will often make runs while the FTP and HTP sort out there congestions so I even anticipate this!) This invariably seems to lead to me getting stopped out at a loss however.

Recently I have tried maintaining a daily focus but looked down deeper at the LLTP (800tick) into the LTP to try and get an entry in a nearby zone there. My plan is to try and get a better entry to minimise an initial adverse move then as the position plays out concentrate on the 4000t to the daily. This seems to result in a series of smaller losses as the energy flows back and forth before (or even during) the daily move.
===are you entering too soon, before you see the flow shift on the ltp?
Your reply: And are you truly buying support and selling resistance?

Yes, I think I am prone to early entry. (more so than chasing) e.g. I anticipate a turn in daily support, as flow shifts in the LTP I'll jump in long. Often flow will shift back and the LTP will have one more trend run into the bottom of nearby support. Some of the FTP zones are fairly large and you might actually have 2 or 3 or even 4 LTP trend runs through them before support really bites. Each of these may be accompanied by a shift in flow and LTP congestion entrance. Of course it seems as the times I wait for LTP flow to really shift it kisses FTP support and shoots straight out! Another way of putting this is where in support will things finally turn. Today as an example I anticipated a turn in support somewhere but support is 2/3 of the days range! I thought the bottom of the 11 or the EB where good candidates for the turn but stopped out on both.

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

++++++Yes, support zone was large but the 4000tk flow did not shift until the bottom was reached. If you were watching the 4000tk flow, then should have been able to stay with the trade, and not exit early.
Trader Question

The second question about buying support is related I guess. I find if I wait for the change in flow to really exert itself or a Yes pattern to be really confirmed that it is much harder to buy the LTP support.

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

++++why?
Trader Question

This is because once it it is clear that the flow is shifted (through) support holding the price almost by definition is moving on up.

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

+++so? then just buy 4000tk support....
Trader Question

Perhaps I should wait longer and be sure that the LTP bar I am buying is firmly in support even if that means waiting for a couple more bars

N.A.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

+++no, not wait for more 4000tk bars, one in new flow is ample, then buy in 4K support...