Charlie and the MOG's

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Charlie and the MOG's

Post by Trader Question »

Has Charlie been active posting movies to the Institute website? I think the last movie I saw there was Charlie on gold and day trading.

CLG
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Charlie and the MOG's

Post by pldot »

We will likely be changing the pricing structure significantly as this gets rolling, as it will be of high value.
Trader Question

This is very nice what Charlie is doing now with the MOGS...using the 60 minute and talking about his thots at the critical areas of making decisions.

Any chance you might ask him to contemplate doing 30 year bonds at some point?

BC
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Bonds are on the agenda.... we'll get there.
Trader Question

I really appreciated the recent commentaries on gold and the Dow I know that Charlie was getting confused about which month is upcoming March
or April and where the quarter ends. It does bring up a question I had last week. Given that contracts will be rolling over to June as front month, is it more natural to end the quarter 2/28? I know we operate with the calendar quarter ending 3/31 but is there any edge to moving one month ahead of the world and aligning with contracts being traded? T notes are already using June. My reading of DG tells me that things should tank in March. I too see the support lines Charlie mentioned. It is so affirming to hear him read what I have read. To be sure he is more thorough and experienced. One of the benefits of DG for me is that I have placed aside virtually all of the chatter (the "Dow was up because...") as well as the experts that flood my mailbox. I found it interesting that Charlie listens to other voices.

DG
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

We knew about the date mix of course.... Charlie offered to do a "fix" but I thought it OK, since the listener can follow him and I would rather have his spontaneous recording than a "studied" and stiff comment. Didn't think it was much of a problem. We could always post a little note mentioning it.

Interesting question re quarter ending with the contract roll-overs Of course the roll-overs are really not in sync with the actual months start date either, since the pits rollover at differing times in differing contracts, two-three-four weeks in advance of the contract expiration. And since the relative positioning of the chart formations is more or less the same in the differing front-contracts, I'm not sure I see an advantage that outweighs the added complexity of following the different symbols and different dates. One would always want to have the day-to-day chart reflect the actual current data of course. Not sure that it would make a big difference in the quarterly. If you want to look into it and do the research though, would be interested in the results.

I certainly agree that one of the benefits of the methodology is that you can let go of the vast majority of market commentary. That's not to say that a study of economic and geopolitical fundamentals is not a part of the picture of trading, particularly if taken as background and used as propositions that are tested against technical trading considerations. In the end, the charts trump news as predictors. But, there are such things as economic swings, competitions between countries and power centers and all the rest. Quality thoughts always welcome and their are some astute people in the world, a few anyway.