Accumulation & Distribution confusion

Go here for lessons or education-related questions

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Accumulation & Distribution confusion

Post by Trader Question »

Ted, I remain confused about the P&L definitions of accumulation and distribution. They are often referred to but weren't much discussed when they were first introduced. In Lesson 7 (1.5) you say, "...signs of distribution or resistance holding..." Can I assume that these terms will be discussed and characterized in more detail later and that, for now, it's adequate to understand that accumulation is seen as support holding and distribution as resistance holding?

MM
pldot
Site Admin

Re: Accumulation & Distribution confusion

Post by pldot »

I'm not sure that we go on at great length in other places in the Lessons about accumulation/distribution; there is a book in the supplemental materials that has a lot on it: The Accumulation/Distribution seminar. However I don't think that it is essential and I can also say that you are correct, "accumulation" is another way o talking about support holding and prices starting to rise. "Accumulation" would mean buying, and as buying gets stronger than selling, then price first holds at support and then starts to rise. And of course vice versa for "distribution." We perhaps use the term more in Lessons 6-7 as that is the area reflected in the supplemental book on which those lessons were based....