Outside Reading

Public discussion of the methodology

Moderators: ted, mmaxwell

Trader Question

Outside Reading

Post by Trader Question »

Other than "A Manual For Living" by Epictetus, "Tao Te Ching" by Stephen Mitchell, "The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution" by P.D. Ouspensky and "The I Ching" by Brian Browne Walker, are there any other books that you can recommend along these lines or touch upon philosophy, psychology or spirituality? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I recently restarted the review of the DG/P&L lessons again.

DY
Trader Question

Re: Outside Reading

Other than books by G.I. Gurdjieff, P.D. Ouspensky, Epictetus, Mark Douglas and books mentioned in "Psycho Paper '96", are there any other psychology, self help, philosophy, new age or spiritual books that you would recommend for further reading? Any recommendations
would be greatly appreciated.

DY
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Good idea to review the Lessons; many find that their second review is what makes the lights go on, since they understand the context of what is being taught.

I read widely and have no idea if what I am reading is of interest to anyone else. Recently have been enjoying Jared Diamond's Collapse and re-reading Makay's Extraordinary popular delusions and the Madness of Crowds. Not exactly spiritual reading but then again maybe it is.
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

I find the I Ching useful. (Brian Browne Walker translation is the best). Tossing the coins daily can have a remarkably effective influence on one's centering.

And also Tao te Ching, (Stephen Mitchell translation).
Trader Question

Other than the "Psycho Papers" which are included in the DG Course and "A Manual for Living" by Epictetus, are there any other books that you can
recommend that will prepare me psychologically/mentally to be a successful trader? What opinions, if any, do you have of Mark Douglas's "Trading in
the Zone" book? What opinions, if any, do you have regarding Peter Steidlmayer's Market Profile methodology? Other than your self hypnosis
CD, are there any other books and/or cd's that you can recommend to enhance my ability to learn and apply the DG methodology?

DY
pldot
Site Admin

Post by pldot »

Mark Douglas is a close friend for many years and in fact I am a sort of sponsoror or part owner of his "Trading in the Zone" book and receive a portion of the proceeds. He is a highly competent observer of the market and of trader's behavior and his writings contain many useful insights. I recommend both of his books, not because I have supported the writing of them but because they are astute. Pete Steidlmayer is a brilliant intuitive trader with long years of pit trading experience; market profile is a very interesting tool that works well in congestions. The "Bell shaped curve" upon which it is based does reflect the dynamics of human psychology. However I do not find that his methodology can coordinate multiple time period support and resistance well and that in my opinion the Drummond work is superior. I do not presently use Market Profile, and he may have made advances in recent years that I do not know about. His writings are difficult, as he tends to use a "private language" that sometimes to me cannot be understood.

There's plenty of material at hand which you have just received and so I would say dig into to what you now have and see what you can learn there. I am sure you will find it an interesting and challenging experience.